Tabs

Monday, March 24, 2008

One Hundred Years of Solitude

I had to read this for the course i am in this semester (Literature of the Americas) and I really enjoyed it. There is an obvious theme of time as cyclical in the novel and how history keeps repeating itself. And then last night as I was drifting off to sleep I had this idea about how when Jose Arcadio Buendia realizes the world is an orb and one can end up in the same place by moving forward, that the author was foreshadowing the theme that would continue repeating itself too.
Right now I am studying Latin America novels and it looks fairly interesting. I am a little apprehensive about the essays that need to be written for this course (2000 words each!!!! So many words!), but figure if I just get down to business, I will be okay. I hope the tutor for this course is an easier marker than the tutor for my children's lit class was. She was tough! And I still believe that if a person's name ends in "s", no possessive s is needed, just the apostrophe.
I am also reading this interesting novel for my book club called Master and Margarita. It's Russian and seems to be about Jesus' (see???) existence and if it were real or not. The book was banned in Russia I think (if I read the author's note correctly although it could have been one of his plays that was banned, and it also deals with magic realism like Solitude did. A common theme in my selected literature lately.

No comments: