Tabs

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Cork and Canvas

Last night, my lovely ladies and I headed to the Calgary Philharmonic Orchestra's Cork and Canvas Wine and Art festival. There was lots of yummy wines to taste, appetizers to nibble on, auction items to bid for and an eclectic mixture of people to view. As much as I love art and wine and eating, watching people is fascinating. The artsy girl all in black, tall and slim, eyeing pieces that she thinks would be perfect in her loft,* the cat lady hovering around the oil on canvas portrait of a sketched-out kitty, making sure she can keep topping the bid in the war to own the painting. The artist of said cat-painting, looking hip in high boots and skinny jeans, who may have imbibed in one too many sips of wine, excited to see her piece being silently fought over.

There was more than just art in the auction too. I was in a small, quiet war of my own for two tickets to see Alfred Hitchcock's Psycho accompanied by the orchestra with a Psycho themed after party to attend. I hang my head in shame as I admit that I gave up once the tickets reached more than $100. Katy Perry "California Dream Tour" tickets were up for grabs as well as a plethora of different wines from around the world.

The venue was in the basement of Willow Park Wine and Spirits. If you are ever looking for that hard-to-find wine or that beer you had in Belgium or have time to try a new scotch, check this place out. They have lots of events filled with spirits. And they are conveniently located next to the fine cheese store so you know there is usually a fabulous pairing. Last night I picked up some strawberry beer to try (and create a summer vibe).

The great thing about this event is it also let me know what the Calgary Philharmonic Orchestra's season looks like next year and I am super stoked. Not only will I try to see the Hitchcock movie, but Herbie Hancock Plays Gershwin looks fantastic as does Pianomania. And for fun, I definitely would love to spend the Saturday afternoon enjoying Bugs Bunny at the Symphony.

Next week, the ladies and I are attending Post Secret in Calgary. Ladies nights are a blast!





*totally making this up - I have no idea where people live. I'm not (that) creepy

No comments: