Tabs

Tuesday, September 27, 2011

*sniff sniff*

I have a cold. It's not the first cold I have had in my adult life. And it's not going to be the last. Unless of course I decide to live out the rest of my life in a perfectly sealed bubble that is sanitized and doesn't allow other people to have contact with me or me to have contact with anything other people have had contact with. Unfortunately, I would not survive very well in a no-contact world and it would cause harmful mental side affects and I would probably lament about how delightful having a cold would be if only I could be around others.

I digress.

Sunday afternoon I began having those heavy-headed feelings one gets when a cold has decided to invade one's sinuses and begin causing ruckus. I was tired and a little bit moody. Yesterday, I put on a happy face to get through work, but by 3, all I wanted to do was sleep. This morning I woke up with a full on war raging in my body as my white blood cell soldiers carried on their plan of attack. I can not be certain, but they may be using weapons of mass destruction in my head to let this cold know that I am not weak and will not take this invasion lightly. I called in sick and made myself some tea to settle back and allow the army of darkness to carry out its battle.

What I really want is someone to bring me chicken noodle soup. And some movies I haven't watched. And for cable to magically hook up for an hour so I can watch The Price is Right at 11. And maybe some glossy new fashion magazines to flip through, enviously looking at models who appear to never suffer from colds. And someone to use the back of their hand on my forehead and tell me that I feel a little bit warm and put a damp wash cloth there. And maybe offer me a popsicle. And I think it would be best if this someone was my mommy.

I have a cold.

And having a cold as an adult sucks. Because you have to do all of these things yourself.

And if you think this is whine-y, you don't even want to know how I handled having the H1N1 a few years ago.

< /pity party >

1 comment:

Solitary Diner (Also Known as The Frugalish Physician) said...

I have a cold too, and I can totally relate. It would be so much better if someone would come over and take care of me. Sadly, my cats aren't very good at doing cold-related things like bringing me warm blankets or making chicken noodle soup.