Tabs

Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Gucci Gucci

Like every young woman my age, the Queen of Pop influenced me in some way, shape or form. I remember my very first cassette tape was Like a Virgin and I would play it over and over and over on my double cassette player while creating new choreography to each and every one of her songs.

As I got older, her music fortunately grew with me as well. She was innovative and daring and crossed burned bridges to make an empire for herself. Truth and Dare is still one of my favorite documentaries and I would sneakily stay up late to watch The Girly Show on Much Music unbeknownst to my disapproving father. When she came out with Ray of Light, I was introduced to Trip Hop elements that further influenced my musical tastes.

An ex-boyfriend bought me her SEX book for Christmas one year. He searched all of the used book stores and made a multitude of phone calls to find it for me after hearing me casually mention that I would love to own it. His and my relationship ended, but I still love flipping through the pages of her coffee table book. It's probably the best present I have ever received in my life.

I have collected all of her CDs and most of her movies. Desperately Seeking Susan is a go-to for me when I am staying home sick OR need inspiration for an 80s themed birthday.

She has been one of the most constant elements of my life and no matter how many compilations she releases, she knows she can always count on me to purchase it. My one dream is to see her live before I die.

It's her birthday today.
Happy birthday Madonna.

Thank you for your pop-infused music that makes any day feel like summer.

1 comment:

Solitary Diner (Also Known as The Frugalish Physician) said...

I love Desperately Seeking Susan! It was one of the first "adult-themed" movies that I watched as a kid, and it opened my eyes to a whole different world. And who doesn't love 80s hair and fashion?