Tabs

Wednesday, April 18, 2012

National Volunteer Week

It's National Volunteer Week!

One of my goals every year is to give back my time to various non-profits and other groups in the city. I do this to meet people, learn new skills, feel more grateful for the things I have and to help make someone else's day brighter. This year, my goal is to volunteer 100 hours. I am sure between organizing and cooking breakfasts at Ronald McDonald House, sitting on the Breast Brunch Ever Committee and the EWIN committee, as well as working with the United Way committee again this year, I will get closer to meeting my goal. And I am always looking for new opportunities (even if they are just one-off events) to help out.

Many of the people in my circle of friends are also deeply passionate about giving back time and energy to make the community a better place. I love being surrounded with a circle of awesome! It feels like through very small efforts, we are becoming the change we wish to see. I get to hang out with my friends, saving money and creating a world I want to live in. Seriously, it's awesome!

100 hours a year sounds like a lot. But it works out to less than 2 hours a week. Think about how much time you spend face-stalking or watching TV. Could you trade 2 of those hours to change your life?

I put it out as a challenge. Join me in giving back 100 hours. There are so many different organizations that you can help out with -- from dog walking at the SPCA, playing crib with senior citizens in homes, helping out at events and concerts, or working on career skills to help you land that dream job. Volunteering really helps you develop your self esteem and confidence. And if nothing else, it looks fabulous on your resume. Give it a shot, I guarantee you won't regret it.

No comments: