Tabs

Tuesday, April 3, 2012

The Wisdom of Buddha

Reading this post today on Tiny Buddha, I decided to answer the 6 power questions that will change my life forever.

1.What do I absolutely love in life?

  • volunteering
  • organizing get-togethers among my friends
  • dancing
  • running
  • the smell of rain
  • cooking
  • my fur babies
  • romance
  • movies that inspire
  • reading
  • hugs

2.What are my greatest accomplishments in life so far?

  • raised over $3000 and biked 220km over 2 days for the Ride to Conquer Cancer. Achieved this due to my innovative and creative ways to fund raise as well as my ability to instill excitement and enthusiasm in others
  • recently started running and completed a 10k race in less than an hour. Achieved this due to following a schedule to train my body for distance running and through my determination to cross the finish line without giving up
  • organize a group of people to get together and cook a meal for the families staying at Ronald McDonald House once a month. Facilitate meal plans and make sure costs are covered. Achieved this through my love of giving back and my joy in organization coming together to inspire others to give back as well
  • Part of the 2011  UW committee at my workplace and we were nominated for the Spirit of Gold Quantum Leap Award. This is awarded to companies over 500 employees that achieve significant increases in participation and funds raised among employees. Proud to have been part of this team!

3.What would I stand for if I know no one would judge me?

If I had no fear, I would

  • quit my job and finish school full time. Having a degree to proudly hang on my wall is one of my greatest desires
  • speak up more in meetings, knowing that my ideas are worthy of being heard and implemented.
  • volunteer in other countries to learn new skill sets, travel and grow more as a person
  • share my story with others and let them know that what happens to you in the past by a person does not define you, you are not tainted, and you can be powerful and strong

4. If my life had absolutely no limits and I could have it all and do whatever I wanted, what would I choose to have and what would I choose to do?

  • I would choose to write. And not worry if anyone was reading what I wrote. Or picking apart how I wrote a piece.
  • I would have a beautiful house overlooking water -- an ocean, a lake, a river. I would be close enough to the city that I could still enjoy the culture a city provides, but far enough away that I can enjoy a luscious garden, a chicken coop, and the quiet solitude that only the country can offer.
  • I would have a more flexible work schedule that allowed me to attend more volunteer opportunities, or work during my night owl hours when I feel most productive
  • I would continue to educate myself. Life long learning through courses and travel and networking events

5.What would I do if I had one billion dollars?

All of those things I listed above, as well as complete my English degree, pay off all of my outstanding debt, start a charity, help my parents out the way they have always helped me.

6.Who do I admire most in the world?

  • cliche, but my mom. She was a single parent and made life work for us. There were times when cupboards were not as full as my peers' cupboards were. Or I didn't have the trendiest clothes. or couldn't attend events. But this helped me understand the value of a dollar and how to prioritize. As well as how to experiment in the kitchen to whip up a meal from just a few ingredients.
  • make fun of me if you want, but Martha Stewart. She took the traditional homemaker tasks and turned them into an empire for herself. It's a good thing. ;-)
  • The founder of Little Warriors for being brave enough to share her story, and for creating a place to help other survivors get help and stay safe.

No comments: