Tabs

Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Dealing with Disappointment

My eyes swell with tears and it gets hard to breath. I assume that I didn't do anything right which is why I was let down. I beg and I plead, I freak and I cry. And I get mad at myself for acting this way which leads to more tears, tighter lungs, irrational thoughts.

I need to learn to react differently...with more grace and control. I need to remember that I am in control of how I react. And I need to learn to stop dealing with everything through tears. Crying really doesn't solve anything and it keeps making everything worse. Does anybody have any tips on how to deal with disappointment in a more controlled manner? I am open to all suggestions as I am continuously creating a bigger mess than before by letting myself down through my own high expectations.

2 comments:

Over the Cubicle Wall said...

My advice is to keep your expectations high. When you meet them it will be tears of joy.

Janine said...

There is no wrong way to deal with disappointment (apart from... maybe hurting the person who disappointed you with a cap gun.. or flying shoe). We seem to live in a culture now where emotions are dirty, and something to be ashamed of. Feel your emotions, swim in them, cry a bathtub (or wine glass) full of tears.. and then start looking at how you are going to make your life better and avoid what hurt you this time around.

We need to feel it... or whats the point of anything?