Tabs

Thursday, September 10, 2009

I'm a real wild (eighties) child

Next Tuesday I am co-hosting my first event with the GirlTalk events networking group! We are rollerskating at the roller rink and the theme is 1980s fashion, fads and favorites. I am thinking today about all things I loved about the 1980s. I was born in 1982 so was a child and most of my favorite memories revolve around Saturday morning cartoons, toys and imagining that i was either Jem or Barbie in an all girls music band.

I am working on trivia questions today and keep remembering all of these things that make me really gleeful. For example, watching Star Search on Saturday evenings/early afternoons or Gummi Bear Cereal :) Not only did I collect Cabbage Patch kids like every other little girl in the 1980s, I still have my Kooza (spelling?) Cat...a cabbage patch pet :) Cuddles was my first toy that I loved and dragged around and still sits on my shelf. I wasn't a huge my Little Ponies fan, but I did have a million and two Barbie dolls...Perfume Pretty Barbie, Pretty in Pink Barbie, Superstar Barbie, California Barbie etc. etc.

And finally, I keep thinking about our Atari...I wish we still had it. We had this game called Plaque Attack where you used toothpaste to shoot the hamburgers and candy attacking your teeth. I loved that game and it might be the sole reason I have never had a cavity my entire life.

What do you remember about the 80s? Were you a teenager that chilled at the mall with big bangs and high tops? Or were you little like me and remember when cartoons on Saturday morning meant something?

4 comments:

Over the Cubicle Wall said...

I was born in 72. My most lasting memory of the 80s was the hair. My god, the hair.

Laura said...

I am trying to get my hair that big....and not succeeding very well. Different products must have existed in the 80s!

SpillingBuckets said...

You already hosted this but I wanted to reply anyway.

I was born in '85 - so most of my memories are similar to yours. Except I HATED barbies, and had TONS of My Little Ponies.

Almost all my memories are of the 90's though. I loved the first Nintendo game "Paper Boy" and "Duck Hunter"

Laura said...

I hosted this event tonight. It was a lot of fun. We played a relay race where we had to swallow a bag of pop rocks, carry silly putty on a spoon and gallop my little ponies down the rink. Most of my memories are from the 1990s too. I firmly believe that dance music reached a pinacle in 1994 :)