Tabs

Saturday, September 19, 2009

Le Chien Chaud

Today I stopped for a gourmet hot dog for lunch on 4th Street. I chose a Mediterranean hot dog that was topped with hummus, artichoke hearts, feta cheese and olives. So yummy! I also bought the world's biggest pickle to chomp on.

This place is so cute. They have about 10 different hot dogs you can try ranging from the Canadian to the Mexican to the Ukrainian. The decor is hot dog themed (obviously) and the wall contains a collage a la A&W restaurants with vintage hot dog ads and new photos of staff and patrons enjoying their Chien Chaud.

My favorite ad was for a Valentines meal: Steamed rice molded into a heart, surrounded by hot dogs and radish roses, served with chili sauce. I think I might actually serve this for Valentine's day next year :)


I enjoy Le Chein Chaud because it seems to take the gourmet hot dog seriously. Tubby Dog is another similar place in Calgary that deals with hot dogs, but seems to be laughing at itself in a sense --I did try Tubby Dogs Cap'n Crunch, Peanut Butter and Jelly hot dog and it was actually pretty good.

1 comment:

Q's Daydream said...

Hi! I'm so excited you left me that comment! Well, I was thinkin' you could wear a black pencil skirt or capris. Elvis loved black and pink together, so it would super cute if you wore a little pink blouse, maybe with a little scarf around your neck and black heels or flats. He wore lots of black and he usually wore it with solid colors like blue, yellow and red. He also wore scarfs around his neck. Here's my email: qwestvintage@gmail.com. I can send you some pictures! :o)