Tabs

Friday, August 29, 2008

Grand Illusions

I am not sure what to do. I have become more and more dissatisfied with my part-time job and I kind-of want to quit (on the spot, no notice given). The other part of me enjoys the extra income and although I live in a city where part-time jobs are a dime a dozen, the idea of looking for another part-time job doesn’t thrill me -- one of those “better the devil you know” kinds of deals.
I am up for my one year review September 4th at my full-time job, and I know I will be getting a raise. When I returned from Latvia, my boss repeatedly informed me that he had no idea how much I did around here and how efficiently I did it all. I know he will give me a steller review and the union will then up my wage. It’s the way it works around here. I just don’t think my raise is going to be enough to justify quitting the toy store right now. I could go the route of looking for a roommate which would reduce my rent and bills by half, but I like my space. In April, my lease is up and A is talking about us moving in together.
Should I stick it out another month? See what effect my raise has on my income (for all I know it will mostly go to taxes!) and then decide? I am just really unimpressed with both the owners and the assistant manager. They have scheduled me for days I informed them that I couldn’t work. My cheque was shorted two hours (although they did pay it out on the next cheque) once. When I interviewed, I told them I didn’t want to work weekends as I am in school and work full time already. I like my Saturdays and Sundays for studying as well as relaxing. So for Labor Day long weekend they have me scheduled Thursday, Friday, and Sunday. I don’t mind an occasional Sunday shift or a Friday evening shift, but I really don’t think it’s fair when they agreed to my terms to have me scheduled Friday and Sunday the same weekend!
But the money…I really want my debt paid off and a healthy down payment savings account. I need to look into other options of steady extra income. I have been scheduled for September so I think I will finish the month off and then re-evaluate. October I am going to be much busier too as I will be starting two more courses in school.
Why can’t I be a multi-billionaire who only worries about where the next party is at?

2 comments:

Dolly Iris said...

Sometimes money isn't worth the stress. Check online and send some resumes out for part time jobs. That way it only takes a few minutes of your time. If you get any bites that interest you check it out. If not wait the month out. Mental stress is not ok. I had a p/t job like that last year and finally I just quit over the phone cuz I was so fed up one day. So not worth it!!

Wishing you lots of patience and love!

Canadian Saver said...

Starting September, there should be more jobs available in retail, if that's what you want to continue in for your p/t job. There's gotta be something better out there!

Good luck with the raise!!