Tabs

Wednesday, November 11, 2009

The 100-Mile Diet

Has anyone else read this? A book by Alisa Smith and J.B. (James) MacKinnon that chronicles their one year pledge to only eat food grown or raised within a 100 mile radius. At first their diet is kind of boring and mostly potatoes, but as they learn more about what grows in their 100 miles, their meals become way more interesting than anything I eat that comes from over 2500 miles.

I read this for the GirlTalk Books and Brunch event this month, and it is not something I would normally have picked up at all. But as I was reading it, I found myself wondering more and more if I could eat within 100 miles. It made me want to begin my garden and put even more effort into my garden once it is cultivated. The book stirred dreams of owning a small piece of land that I could have a huge garden on and a chicken coop for fresh eggs.

As I was researching this book for the book club discussion, I came across a similar sounding book called Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver. It has the same basic concept of knowing where your food came from --seed to table. This book is now on my to be read list. Has anyone read that book?

The website for 100 Mile Diet has a handy link to google maps that will show you your 100 mile radius. I am in Calgary and would be fortunate to have beef and wheat readily available...unfortunately Taber is not in my radius which would mean no Taber corn for me in the summer... *sigh*

Could you become a locavore? What is the one thing you would have the hardest time giving up? Mine would be coffee.

1 comment:

Canadian Saver said...

Coffee for me too, definitely!!!

I think this would be a very healthy way to eat... but hard in the beginning...