Tabs

Sunday, November 29, 2009

Makes you Wonder

Today I was waiting for the bus in front of Holt Renfrew. They always have some captivating window displays that usually catch my attention and today was no different. I am not sure how I feel about this display:

I am not sure how well you can see this picture. The man-equin is sitting in a chair made out of antlers (which bothers me because I feel a dominance metaphor) and looking through a telescope thing. The women-equins are all sitting in front of him in the snow. They are wearing hats with antlers thus the idea they are reindeer can be assumed. They have belts linking them all together that are adorned with bells which I took to be reins. The overall composition of this window display makes me think that women are pulling the man's sleigh. I'm not a woman's rights activist, but I am a woman and this window display kind of made me feel uncomfortable. So does that mean Holt Renfrew won, made their point and piqued my interest? Or does it mean they lost and now I may never shop there? Hard to say...I kind of like art that makes me uncomfortable and makes me think.

What do you think of this?

No comments: