Tabs

Wednesday, April 7, 2010

What I am Reading Wednesday

First, let's talk about Fall on your Knees. I started this novel last Tuesday. I could not put this novel down. It was painful to part with when I had to leave for work, or go to sleep so that I could work the next morning. I was pretty happy I had Friday off because Thursday I came home from work and read until I finished the novel in the wee hours of the morning.
Fall on your Knees has all the elements of a V.C. Andrews novel, but held together with motifs, themes, symbolism, and metaphor that makes each and every element of the story deeper. You begin with compassion for the villain. You kind of end with compassion for the villain. You question the family ties that bind. I recommend this novel to every one. It's disturbing, yet fascinating. And it keeps you questioning each character's motives.

This week I was in Chapters and they had "buy 2, get the 3rd free" on premier classics. I picked up three classics for my library and I am now reading James Joyce's A Portrait of The Artist as a Young Man. I have only read the first 20 pages or so where Stephen is suffering from fever and his thoughts and memories are one continuous run off sentence. The brain is interesting in how it connects each tidbit in our lives. I sometimes surprise myself with where I end up if I just lay down and let my mind wander. And then I question how I got there trying to trace back to the thought that sparked each thought. It's interesting to read this in a novel and have it peppered with fever.



I am also reading another novel titled Run by Ann Patchett, but I was having a tough time getting in to it which is why I decided to start the James Joyce novel as well. Run was recommended to me by a friend and i am sure once I get into it, it will be hard to put down.

I am participating in The Ride to Conquer Cancer. If you would like to sponsor me, click here

No comments: