Tabs

Friday, January 7, 2011

Casual Friday

Snooki released her book, millions of birds and fish drop dead, and Mark Twain rolls over in his grave*. It's been a crazy start to 2011

Can I start by saying that although I am not expecting any sort of literary masterpiece, I am kind of curious about Snooki's book? And her release also has me thinking that if she can write a book, what in the world is stopping me from writing a book? I think I need to do some laundry, hit up the gym and then maybe meditate over this while soaking in some artificial rays at the tanning salon. I might even feel a stab of inspiration to write a story about a group of kids who work at a gelato place in Miami over a few weeks during winter break in between copious shots and smooshes. Somethings missing though...possibly highlight their pride in their ethnicity? What's that? It's been done? F@#K!

And, the same week she releases a book, the "new" Adventures of Huckleberry Finn is released as well. Twain wrote this book as a social commentary using the common language of the day. And yes, the words he used are a bit "uncomfortable," but doesn't that say something about how our society has grown and changed? We can't erase the past, but we do need to embrace it. And part of the point of Huck's adventures is Huck realizing that Jim is more than property, but a person who deserves his freedom. That's way more important than what words are used or were accepted at the time of writing (and I better not find any mention of the derogatory word "guido" in Snooki's masterpiece).

That said, if we are now censoring a great piece of literature, we must also start censoring some of the greatest poets of the 20th century. No longer when I am listening to gangster rap, do I want to hear the "N" word and would like all prior instances replaced with the word slave so that it is a little less "uncomfortable."

How do birds and fish tie into all of this you ask? Well, is it really any coincidence that the same week the literary world receives a harsh blow, the animals start protesting through mass suicide? I don't believe in coincidences.

Finally, because we are talking about the use of the "n" word, I am including the most Penguin-Awesome video of 2011 to date. Please note that this uses a lot of inappropriate language. Viewer discretion is advised.



*I assume...because who wants to have someone change the wording of your book after it's been a best seller for hundreds of years. Next thing, we'll re-write Paul's million letters to everyone in the Bible and World War II.

No comments: