Tabs

Monday, March 15, 2010

Fighting Cancer

So obviously this bicycle ride I am preparing for is about raising money to help research cures for cancer. And yes, it can be fun to organize ways to raise money, and train with team mates, but I should reflect for a minute about why I am doing this.
I remember the first time I "learned" about cancer. I was 8 and a boy in my class was battling cancer. I don't know what kind and all I remember learning was that he would be away from school a lot, he didn't have any hair because of his treatment and that we couldn't catch anything from being his friend. I'm sure it wasn't any easy thing to teach 8 year olds about a disease that still makes no sense to me 20 years later. The boy had to stay behind that year due to missing so much time and my classmates and I went on to grade three. That following year, cancer won and he never made past the second grade.
My parents had a good friend in the neighbourhood and she battled cancer as well. I was 12 or 13 when she passed away I think. It was the first time I ever went to a funeral. It was also the first time I ever saw her in peace. She didn't look tired or ill anymore, she looked peaceful. I wish she could have had that feeling to enjoy life.
In September of 2008, my best friend lost her mom to cancer. There is nothing worse in the world then seeing your best friend's heart shattered and not having a way to fix it. Her mom had courageously fought cancer for years. I couldn't imagine what it would be like to lose your mom so young.
I am doing this ride for the children, the moms and everyone else out there that has been affected by this cruel, unprejudiced disease that takes life from all of us. I dream of a day when I have children and they won't have to watch friends or family battling, suffering, or dying.


I am participating in The Ride to Conquer Cancer. If you would like to sponsor me, click here

3 comments:

QL girl said...

The story about the little boy is so sad! When my cousin was 6 he was diagnosed with leukemia. I was about 4, so I didn't know what was happening, but I do remember wearing medical masks around him at one point, when his hair began to fall out, when his face was swollen due to the medications. He was also held back in school, 1st grade....but fortunately he made it past that. He's now 27. It wasn't until a few years ago that I realized HOW LUCKY WE ARE THAT HE SURVIVED. I'm so sorry you were exposed to the other side of cancer at such a young age.

It's amazing how many of our lives have been touched by cancer.

Northern Living Allowance said...

I lost my dad to cancer when I was 13. I have just sponsored you (I wish it could be more!) and want to wish you the best of luck in reaching your goal! This is a really great thing you're doing.

Over the Cubicle Wall said...

Good work and good luck. I lost my oldest brother to cancer. It is a horrible disease.