Tabs

Thursday, March 11, 2010

What I Am Reading Wednesdays

Sorry this is a day late. Yesterday was my birthday and I spent most of the day reading birthday cards and facebook wall posts.

I am still reading Three Cups of Tea. The school in Korphe is completed and now Greg Mortenson is director of Central Asia Institute and looking for off beat places in Central Asia to build another school. He chose a very remote part of Pakistan that was isolated from the modern world. I have to edit this when I get my book at home as I can't remember how to spell the name of the area. Anyway, he doesn't speak the language, the people are wary of Americans and Greg ends up spending 11 days locked up as the people figure out if they are going to kill him or not. I was worried, but because it is a memoir, you kind of know he isn't going to die which takes away from the suspense. Greg is also now married with a daughter and spends his time going back and forth between his American life and his Pakistan life.

I am hoping to finish this book by the weekend. What are you reading?


I am participating in The Ride to Conquer Cancer. If you would like to sponsor me, click here

3 comments:

Canadian Saver said...

Happy Belated Birthday!!!Hope you enjoyed it :-)

I am currently reading Paris Times Eight by Deidre Kelly... it's about a Canadian's 8 different trips to Paris, and her experiences while there... very interesting to a Francophile like me :-)

I will be sponsoring you next week, it is for a very good cause :-)

Northern Living Allowance said...

Happy Belated Birthday!!! Hope you had a lovely day.

I've just finished "Stolen Lives" a compilation of children's war diaries from WWI through to the current Iraq war. Moving, insightful, "un-put-downable," and very touching. I am feeling exceptionally grateful that I live here and it was really a perfect way to put all my "problems" into perspective.

I would like to sponsor you, too, so I will. :)

Over the Cubicle Wall said...

Happy way to early birthday greetings for next year!