Tabs

Wednesday, March 17, 2010

What I am Reading Wednesday

Happy St. Patrick's Day! Hope everyone is enjoying the Luck o' the Irish.

I finished Three Cups of Tea and was totally inspired to find even more ways to give back to society. The part in the story when Greg visits Mother Teresa's body during her wake was an awakening moment for me. I remember being in grade ten social studies when it was announced over the loud speaker that Mother Teresa had passed away (I went to a Catholic School). I didn't really think much of it then, but realize now how much that little woman impacted the world. All by opening her heart and helping those in need. I am going to start opening my heart even more and helping those that need me even more.
I am now reading Committed by Elizabeth Gilbert, her follow up to her memoir Eat, Pray, Love. I enjoyed Eat, Pray, Love immensely the first time I picked it up. I was in a place in my life where I wanted to escape and find myself and here was a woman sharing her story about escaping her life, living amazing adventures in three different countries and finding peace within herself. I can see how many people might find Elizabeth Gilbert whiny and annoying now in that book, and I know that running away is not always the most logical solution. I borrowed her second book from a friend to see if it would shed any light on how I can build a better relationship with someone I love.

I just started it last night, and Elizabeth and Felipe have been informed that in order for him to live in her country, they will have to get married. Can i just say something here? How come she expects him to move to her country, because her family and life are there. What about his family? His life? There is something about Elizabeth Gilbert I don't think I like.

What are you reading this week?
I am participating in The Ride to Conquer Cancer. If you would like to sponsor me, click here

2 comments:

Janine said...

P.S. I'm reading "The Amateur Marriage" by Anne Tyler.

Janine said...

you'll have to let me know what you think by the end of this book... haven't read it but I'm curious..