Tabs

Sunday, March 28, 2010

My first sign of Spring

A couple of years ago I joined this little networking site called Myspace. I have always loved social networking going all the way back to friendster, hi5 and bebo. On myspace I received a friend request from a girl in Calgary because we seemed to have similar interests. This girl I "met" (although I have never actually met her in person -- yet) worked for The Canadian Cancer Society and put out a note looking for volunteers to sell Daffodils. I signed up, it was my first volunteer experience and it was the perfect start to a long life of giving back (for me).

Daffodil days sells bunches of Daffodils for $6. You can buy them opened or closed. The greatest thing about buying them closed is that you put them in a vase of water and overnight they open right up, greeting you in the morning with their bright, yellow disposition.

Every year since then I have volunteered with Daffodil Days. I have met some fantastic people who I was partnered up to sell with --each person bringing new outlooks to life as we sell together in little kiosks and community tables in the mall. And the euphoric feelings from helping out is a great way to start a day.
Who would have known that joining a little site called myspace would help light the spark of my passion to raise money for cancer research as well as providing me with an activity to define the beginning of Spring.

What activity do you partake in that gives you the sense that Spring has finally arrived?


I am participating in The Ride to Conquer Cancer. If you would like to sponsor me, click here

No comments: