Tabs

Thursday, December 16, 2010

December 16 – Friendship

How has a friend changed you or your perspective on the world this year? Was this change gradual, or a sudden burst? (Author: Martha Mihalick)

I have a wonderful friend and I sadly don't get to see him all of the time. When we did get to hang out this year, it was one of the best times of my life. We laughed, he gave great hugs, he listened to all of my stories and added some details of his own. We got to see the ocean together and we played a game of cat and mouse with the waves. We blasted tunes in his car as we raced around little back roads and explored little bay communities.

We had serious discussions about life and love. We had silly discussions fueled by liquor. We had moments of random high-fiving.

I met this friend a few years ago when I came home from a vacation and he had moved in as a new room mate. We seemed to click right away. He taught me to alligator crawl and air guitar. I shared with him the magic awesome sauce of Ween's "Bananas and Blow" and would lend him my Goonies DVD. He would "razz" me all of the time and quickly became the brother I never wanted, but would never give up for all of the world. He was the best room mate I ever had.

I wish every day that he lived closer so we could hang out more. Getting to fly out and see him and his province was an amazing adventure. I realized that he is one of the awesome people in my life and I was stupid to allow an ex's jealousy of our friendship cause distance.

I learned a lot from my little trip to the East Coast about myself and Kerker was a great friend for harboring me. I hope I am as good as friend to him as I think he is to me. Hanging out with him this year was good for my soul. I would give him the Friend Award of 2010.

I have a lot of great friends in my world. The fact that Kerker took a week of his life to drive me around and explore Newfoundland with me is so unbelievably appreciated. I think the way he changed my perspective was his kind gesture actually really opened my eyes to how many great people are in my life and I am very thankful every day for the amazing people that want to have me included in their lives. When I returned from Newfoundland, I really feel that I started appreciating all of my friends a little more. The ones who live close because you never know when circumstances may cause them to move across the country and the ones who live far because every minute you do get to hang out with them is more precious.


Best Road Trip EVER

No comments: