Tabs

Thursday, December 2, 2010

December 2: Writing

What do you do each day that doesn’t contribute to your writing — and can you eliminate it?(Author: Leo Babauta)

Human nature fascinates me and by paying attention I satiate my imagination, nourish my need for inspiration and conceive creative ideas. I often get lost in the social networks which might take away from my writing time, but it's looking at the connections I have with people (and strangers) and the insights they have that contribute to my brainstorm sessions. I can then extrapolate to construct and shape my own view of this world.

I read somewhere that not only to be a great writer should one voraciously read, but one should also experience as much as possible. The reading part is no issue for me. Since I learned the magic that letters pulled together fashion words that form concepts, I have been a gluttonous reader. From starting my day reading cereal boxes, to newspapers, to blogs, tweets, status updates, novels, poetry, fiction and non-fiction I am a logophile. What I would like to see transpire in 2011 (which I have been working on a lot in 2010 already) is to get out and experience more. To be that person who attends all of the quirky events, the girl who knows the greatest places to eat, drink and be merry, the one who never says no to spending afternoons jumping in leaves, sledding, puddle jumping or other moments of pure joy.

So, to answer today's prompt, the thing I do every day that may be taking away from my writing is telling myself there is always tomorrow. And letting experiences pass me by. And watching other people's experiences wishing they could be my own.

2011, I want to experience more. So that my writing evokes all senses genuinely.

As of January 1, 2011 I will be making this blog private. If you would like to be on the reading list, please email me at arualthebutterfly[at]gmail[dot]com

No comments: