Tabs

Wednesday, December 8, 2010

December 8 – Beautifully Different

Think about what makes you different and what you do that lights people up. Reflect on all the things that make you different – you’ll find they’re what make you beautiful. (Author: Karen Walrond)

I would like to say there is a lot about me that makes me different and special. But there really isn't. Any question I have ever had where I think "why me? why my life?" I can guarantee that someone else has already asked it on yahoo answers. And Google has made it apparent to me that as different as I feel, there are millions of people out there who think and feel and act just like me. Which, I kind of love. It's nice to realize that you aren't that different even when you have been called weirdo on more than one occasion.

Why have I been called a weirdo you ask?

I am quirky. I am in my late 20s, but I don't always act grown up. When the situation calls for me to be serious, I am serious. And responsible. And my bills are always paid on time. But, I still love partaking in all of those activities we did as children that gave us pure joy. An afternoon of colouring while watching cartoons? Sounds amazing! Swamp water Slurpee's picked up after a bike ride around the neighbourhood? Absolutely! Pulling out a Slip-and-slide on a hot afternoon to cool off? Awesome! Action shots while jumping on a trampoline? Count me in!

I think my love of fun makes others around me let go of the notions that once you are a grown up you have to be boring. And then we have adventures. Or just awesome moments of playing. Where is the written rule that says you have to stop playing when you get to a certain age? And all bright colours need to be replaced with muted tones that reflect a show home designers dream? But the issue comes from these other "grown ups" I meet in my life who have been brainwashed to believe they need to be serious all of the time. When we hang out and I suggest creating an awesome chalk mural or explain a new art project I have thought about, I get the strange looks and the joking jabs of "okay weirdo."

I tried being the typical grown up. And I wasn't happy. When I do the things that I loved as a kid, I am happy. And the best part is, no one tells me I have to come home when it gets dark out now. And remember how I wrote earlier this month about wanting to get out and experience more? I think it's the people I am around who are typical grown ups that make me hold back. You know what I may have just realized? That I need to stop dating serious adults. They think I'm weird and I think they're boring. We would never work out.

Also, is this even tied into the prompt topic anymore? Meh *shrugs*

So, I am working on my 30 things to do before I am 30 list and I need 5 more items. Looking for inspiration so please feel free to leave a comment and tell me one thing you would like to do next year.


As of January 1, 2011 I will be making this blog private. If you would like to be on the reading list, please email me at arualthebutterfly[at]gmail[dot]com

No comments: