Tabs

Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Playing Grown Up

Last night I was supposed to join my friends at a little espresso bar downtown to indulge in some wine and live jazz. I was so pumped to go. Until I opened my mailbox and discovered my phone bill. With a lot of charges. From the last 3 months. Oops!

I decided that there are going to be a lot of opportunities in the future to sip wine and converse while chilling out to the sounds of cellos, saxophones, drums and pianos. And called to announce I wouldn't be able to make it while I dutifully paid my overdue bill.

I could have done both. I could have gone and had a cup of tea instead of a glass of wine. I could have waited a few more days to pay my bill and enjoyed my planned evening. But part of a being a grown up is making tough choices that will benefit my future. And taking care of that bill made me feel better right away. More so than a few glasses of wine and still owing that money this morning would have made me feel.

Rainman and I have been talking a lot lately about our future. And making sure we take care of all financial obligations we each have. We talk about how we are in this together and how we will attack all loans together so that these things can be out of our lives once and for all. It's the most comforting thing in the world to know that I have a partner in all of this. We have laid it all out on the table what we each owe and to whom. Working together to get through this is helping solidify our relationship.

Which is why last night I made the grown up choice to stay home, brew some tea, pay my bill and listen to some jazz on the stereo. making sacrifices today so that he and I can have a super fulfilling life tomorrow is worth it.

No comments: