Tabs

Sunday, April 13, 2008

The devil I call Seuss

So, I collect Dr. Seuss books. It all started when I saw a community theatre production of "Seussical the Musical" and I realized how much I missed the simplicity of childhood. I found a copy of The Cat in the Hat at a used book store and then I started making a point of hunting down Seuss books from used book stores. Yesterday, A took me out for dinner and on the walk home, we stopped in the book store. Well, the mother load had arrived of Seuss books. All titles that I have never read too!!! I picked them all up and at $6.50 a pop I knew I couldn't really afford all of them. But I wanted them. So much for controlling my wants!!! The girl who worked the cash register was great though and gave me one for free.So I spent $40 and picked up 7 books. Not bad I suppose.
After we made it home, we decided to go to Wal-Mart to pick up some essentials. Apparently 2 new dresses became an essential too. They are both cute and I can use some more professional clothes for work, so it wasn't a bad investment. BUT I am supposed to be watching my pennies and making choices on my wants, instead of cutting out my needs. Luckily, at the beginning of the month I used my birthday money and stocked my pantry with non-perishables. And I still have a quarter of a cow in my freezer so I won't starve. I just don't have any money to spend at all for the next two weeks.
I can't wait to start seeing money come in from my new part-time position. I think it will make things feel less tight around here. Not saying that I should spend it all on Seuss literature and work clothes, I am working the part time job to put money towards my down payment goal. I just think I will feel less guilty if I can see that I have a nice padded savings account.

3 comments:

Canadian Saver said...

Thanks for coming by my blog :-) I'll add you to my blogroll too.

For the code to put the progress bars, if you leave me a message on my blog with your email address (I won't publish it), I'll send you the code that I used to set mine up. I got it from a fellow blogger and it really helped.

Dolly Iris said...

What helps me when I have the temptation to spend is that I place the thing I'm looking at on an imaginary scale with my dream (in your case down payment) on the other. Then I think about which one is more important to me.
I can almost always talk myself out of buying something when I do that.

Laura said...

Even Dr Seuss??? :)