Tabs

Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Odds and Ends

I just joined the Grocery Budget Challenge at Give me Back my Five Bucks. I have decided that usually I budget about $150 for groceries, but then don’t really track the spending till the end of the month. For May, I am budgeting $125 and this amount will be scrutinized every time I come home from the grocery store.
The grocery challenge ties into my goal of decreasing my expenses by $200. I already have the cable cut which saves me about $55 a month and now the $25 I am saving from groceries. I just need to cut back $120 more. Tonight after I do my month end to see where all of my money went this month, I will have a better idea of other places I can cut costs.
I work after work today. I am tired. I am also going camping for the first time ever this weekend for my friend’s birthday and I need to start getting all of that stuff ready. I wish I had the power to change how many hours are in a day so I could have eight hours of sleep a night, work my eight hours full time and my four hours part time, have time to complete my school courses (maybe two hours a day?) and still spend time with A. I am utilizing every free moment I have for school reading (on the train, my lunch hour, before bed). I know in a few years it will all be worth it though. And I suppose when I have kids I will look back on this time and marvel at how much “me” time I had.
Will it be weird that I am bringing homework with me camping?

4 comments:

Canadian Saver said...

Wow, camping already? It'd be too cold for that at night here still... I hope you can find a way to fit everything into your schedule :-)

Good luck with your grocery challenge!

Laura said...

I think it is going to be too cold here too, but everyone else is all up for it. Lots of warm clothes for me will be needed.

Just Me said...

okay yep, im sorry you are wierd for taking your homework with you camping ;) But its better to get an A, so keep it up!!!

So as far as cutting your costs, since I had the dangerous duo move in with me and I began to feed them too, I tried shopping at Walmart and Dang I got a TON of groceries for like 150 for four people and they will last a month.. Check them out if you have a super Walmart near you. Just dont buy their celery it gets soft really really fast..

Laura said...

No super walmart near me...I think the closest one is in Lethbridge. And when I was in there I couldn't get over how gi-normous the Wal-Mart was!!!
I think I will be okay, because last summer I bought half a cow and still have lots left in my freezer and I stocked my pantry last month. Buying all of that meat was really good for me. it was a huge cost at the start, but I have had so many stews, and steaks, and roasts that it evened out. My other friend bought a pig that way too and I am thinking I may find some peopel to split one up with too this year (after I eat all of my beef).