Tabs

Thursday, May 15, 2008

Grocery Challenge

I am out. Safeway had a coupon that if you spent $100 you received 100 airmiles. I stocked up on non-perishables and food for my Banff trip and spent $130. Add this to my $60 already spent and I spent $190. $65 over my budget. Now I am fairly set for a month and will only need perishables like milk. I don't regret it at all. Not only did I get my 100 miles, but I may have also received 30 more for the spaghetti sauce and noodles I stocked up on.
I don't foresee myself spending much in June and July as I am leaving for Latvia for three weeks. My dad paid for the flight and accommodations and told me to bring spending money. I have saved $1000 for this trip, but I can't see myself spending $1000 on stuff. I have never left Canada and not sure what kind of souvenirs I may want, but $1000 seems extreme to me when a picture itself can say $1000 words and the experience is essentially free.
I am off tomorrow for A and my romantic weekend in the mountains. From now until Latvia, I am going to put as much as I can on my VISA. When I get home from Latvia, I am going to really concentrate on my VISA payoff, but use the money I was saving for Latvia towards my down payment fund.

I had to take a cab home from the grocery store tonight, and the driver asked me why I was working two jobs. I told him my goal of owning my own house and we had a really good conversation about goals. When he dropped me off at home, he wouldn't charge me for the ride. What a sweet gesture! I am going to put that money in my snow flaking list. And pay the kindness forward.

3 comments:

SavingDiva said...

Wow! $130 in groceries! :) I can imagine why you needed a cab!

Canadian Saver said...

I would have purchased for $100 too to get those airmiles!! I've never seen such an offer here. And like you said, the non-perishables will be there when you get back from Latvia.

Wow, that cab driver is so generous!!!

Dolly Iris said...

I love those random moments with people. So inspiring. What a nice gesture and I love the idea of "paying it forward". Great movie, makes me cry everytime!